Saturday 2 November 2013

Weekend in London


After quite an intense lead up the Interim review, I thought it would be nice to go home back to London for the weekend to take a breather, indulge in home comforts and catch up with the parents.
Having seen the posters for Sarah Lucas's exhibition at the Whitechapel Gallery displayed all over the tube on my way home from St Pancras, I was quite desperate to go as I studied a lot of her work for A-Level art and really wanted to see her work up close. Here are some of the sneaky pictures that I took before I got told off by the lady on duty.

The Exhibition was excellent, it was genuinely sometimes funny, very crude and visually striking. At the same time there was a sense of seriousness about it all, Lucas takes a critical approach on the themes of gender and sexuality through her manipulation of form. In her work she often conveys social and political points, as well as referencing historical art traditions. The exhibition displayed two decades of her work and it still hasn't lost its ability to shock the viewer and captivate the viewers, my mum especially! Who went half heartedly, and ended up thoroughly enjoying her pieces and enjoyed amusingly recounting to my dad later on exactly what she had saw.

After the Whitechapel Gallery, we travelled along to London Bridge to visit the Architecture foundation who had an interesting one room exhibition called 'Futures in the Making'. They showcased recent Masters graduates work who had taken a stance on a current topical issue and designed for the future, with examples such as the housing crisis and flooding issues. It was a really nice exhibition and the work was all to an exceptionally high standard, which was a cool precedent for how to present work.





It was a really lovely day out, I had missed the crazy bustle and dynamics of London in comparison to Sheffield. We also ended up walking along the South Bank where my mum insisted of taking photos of me with the skyline of London in the background!




All pictures taken by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment